Book OnlineBook your courses here.

Gift CertificatesPurchase Gift Vouchers here.

CBT LegislationAll learner motorcyclists will be required to undergo CBT.

Affiliate Member Signup
Avail of our Special Offers

Frequently Asked Questions


Where do I apply for a license?
You apply to the Motor Taxation Office of your local County Council or City Council.

Please explain the category A2 (motorcycle) restriction?
Anyone granted a first learner permit in category A2 on or after January 2013 is restricted to driving motorcycles with an engine power output not exceeding 35kw or a power/weight ratio not exceeding 0.2kw/kg. This restriction applies for the duration of all learner permits and also during the validity of full license (not two years from date of test).

How do I know if my motorcycle falls within the restriction limits?
Manufactures and suppliers will advise on the power outputs of individual motorcycles.

I have a 1000cc motorcycle. May I drive this with an A learner permit?
Yes. Restrictor kits may only be fitted to motorcycles not exceeding double the 35kw output.

When I am granted my full license in A category, may I drive any size motorcycle I wish?

I have a full B (car) license. Does this entitle me to drive a motorcycle?
The holder of a category B license granted prior to 21 October, 2006 is entitled to drive a moped up to 50cc with a maximum design speed of 45 km/hour. All category B licenses granted, for the first time, on or after 21 October, 2006 do not hold this entitlement. Such license holders wishing to drive a category M vehicle would have to obtain a learner permit in category M and successfully undergo the practical driving test in order to obtain a full license in this category.

I have a learner permit A license. May I carry a passenger?
Learner permit holders in Categories A, A1 A2 or AM are not permitted to carry passengers.

Where can I access more information about licences and Direct Access IBT?
Log onto